Re: [Question #73426]: Mac Book Pro(2, 2) power supply and battery are being damaged by Ubuntu 9.04

Steven Susbauer posted a new comment:
Both Windows and Linux run fine on a MacBook Pro. In fact the main
reason I bought a Mac is a prefer Mac OS (even doing Ubuntu packaging
from within OS X) but can boot into Windows or Linux easily and run very
well. You're using bootcamp, right? If so, boot into OS X and see what
it has to say about your system status. I extremely doubt Ubuntu somehow
ruined your battery or power cord, it seems highly improbable.

If you're wanting to learn about CS on your Mac you may like using
VirtualBox better. It is not the fastest emulation, but if you're using
it for experimenting vs daily use, it's not so bad (and it flies in
cli). If you want to learn something similar to Darwin, you might
consider BSD. Of course, if you install fink you can install pretty much
all of the "Linux" utilities in OS X anyway.

And yes, the Mac does allow and use acpi. See
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7642115 for some
suggestions.You usually do not set up acpi through a bios setup screen.