Re: [Question #77516]: how do I fix suspend problem in 8.04? worked in 8.10

Question #77516 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/77516

Tom proposed the following answer:
Err, this seems to be the 3rd time this problem about a mis-read hard-
drive has appeared in 2 days.  I've never noticed it before and this
often happens in the Answers forum, then suddenly the problem will
magically hardly ever appear again so if you figure out how to deal with
it then we could do with your help in here until the problem stops
cropping up! ;)  We're all just volunteers in here trying to figure it
all out too.

The 4th post in here
the one from ActionParsnip about using F6 seems to have worked for 1 person already.  Perhaps something about Boot Options
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
or boot parameters
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/boot-parms.html
might help for you in some other way if AP's advice doesn't work straight off for you.

Well nVidia had some bad-press, i think it was probably quite deserved,
about lack of linux support and were considered the bad-boys but since
then they've really made some huge efforts and there's now 3 drivers; 1
proprietary, 1 OpenSource and 1 hybrid (nVidia think it's OpenSource but
it's not, its halfway here).  All 3 seem pretty excellent on most cards
although doubtless there are some cards that can't use any of them yet.
Now ati have put themselves right far back by shooting themselves in the
foot.  The 2000 series wasn't as good as their 1000 series and the 3000
series was just a dye-shrink of the 2000.  So people 'in the know' have
been getting either the ultra latest 4000 series or the 1000 series and
ati have just withdrawn support for the 1000 series, saying that people
will have to use their 'legacy' driver which is broken for linux as far
as the 1000 series goes.  As i am only a friend of 'someone in the know'
i'm not completely clear how the 9550 fits in but i would guess that it
uses the same chipsset as the 1000 series or perhaps even earlier.  The
only good thing about ati right now is that their ultra latest range is
excellent and great value for money (so i'm saving up because they are
quite expensive even though they are worth it) oh and of course they are
much better than intel graphics lol.

Good luck with those Boot Options!
Regards from
Tom :)