[Question #77637]: Is Ubuntu suitable for beginners ?

Iam a newbie and would like to know if Ubuntu is the right choice for me. I am currently using Microsoft XP Professional. My requirements are basic, surfing for research, office, Skype and world news. The idea/translation of Ubuntu appeals to me very much.    Dobbas