[Question #77664]: wlan usb doesn't work with WL-012 on jaunty

New question #77664 on linux-wlan-ng in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-wlan-ng/+question/77664

I have a SITECOM WL-012 wlan USB adapter.  I've been unable to wake up the WL-012 yet on Jaunty.  I'm able to at least get a flashing light on the device with Hardy by issuing the following commands

modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

Typically, the response in Jaunty to to...
sudo wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

...is the output...
message=lnxreq_ifstate
  ifstate=enable
  resultcode=implementation_failure

I am assuming that this is down to firmware issues with the device.

Following the instructions here, I'm attempting to update the adapter's firmware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/prism2_usb

When running the command...

linux-wlan-ng-build-firmware-deb

...I get the following warning

The kernel source tree is version 2.6.28-11-generic.
******* WARNING WARNING WARNING *******
Kernels newer than 2.6.24.x are not supported.
******* WARNING WARNING WARNING *******
The current kernel build date is #42-Ubuntu Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 2009.

Should the firmware update still work if this warning occurs?

linux-wlan-ng-build-firmware-deb runs a "Linux WLAN Configuration Script".  I'm wondering if the following default option is correct

Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver? (y/n) [n]