Re: [Question #77670]: attack on open source

rrnwexec proposed the following answer:
selinux is a security layer that was designed to prevent applications
from interfering with parts of the operating system that they shouldn't.
It can be thought of as a "sandbox". Rules/policies for selinux restrict
the actions that applications can do.

selinux is *not* enabled by default in Ubuntu. (The packages are present
though.)

If you open a terminal and type this command, it will tell you which version of the kernel that you are using, and the version will likely not match that in the warning, unless you have installed a custom kernel:
    uname -ros

Here's the output I get running Ubuntu 9.04 with all current updates applied:
  Linux 2.6.28-14-generic GNU/Linux

Should we worry? Probably not. The exploit is known and has been
published. Maintainers of the Ubuntu distribution check these types of
things before they release updated kernels. If an affected kernel were
to (accidentally) find its way into Ubuntu the community would alert the
maintainers *very* quickly, and things would be fixed.