Re: [Question #77699]: how do other people know I am on line?

Question #77699 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/77699

kungmidas proposed the following answer:
Some less, uhm, "less trustworthy" sites have ads which are made to
appear as instant messages, usually trying to appear such as those from
MSN/Live Messenger or AIM. Basically I'd suppose it's a form of
phishing?

If this is the case, the "message popup" would be displayed only inside
one browser tab, it would be from someone you do not know, and the
"message" would be some generic one. If this is all true then it's only
ads/phishing and could be avoided by not visiting the particular site,
or by using firefox plugins such as Flash Blocker or Adblock Plus.