[Question #77872]: cannot install 9.04 and Gateway laptop

I tried to install 9.04 on my son's gateway laptop and we run into problems, Error 17 is one of them, input/output error during write on /dev/sda is another also The creation of swap space in partition H5 of SCS 1 failed.  I am afraid the hard disk is damaged, the computer is only 1 year old, we have had a lot of trouble because my son, who is autistic is too rough with it.  We have replaced the hard disk twice.  This one in the machine is only a couple of months old.  I cannot imaging what he does to mess things up so bad.