[Question #77883]: How do I get past the update manager and the add/remove locking the system and what is the square area surrounding the curser?

When I install Ubuntu 9 on an HP pavilion running at 500 MHz and on a Compaz running at 133 MHz with both having 256 Meg Ram everything goes well.  Except that the curser is in an 1/2 by 1/2 inch square area that pops up where ever I move to can click it.  When I see this I know that the update manager and the add/remove will lock up.  They both appear to start all right, but in a few seconds a 1-1/2 by 2 inch white box appears in the middle of the screen and then the screen changes to a complete faded appearance.  You can still see everything underneath, but clicking on anything does nothing.  If after start-up i click on the Firefox I can connect to the net fine, but trying to get the updat manager and the add/remove to work and the above happens.