[Question #77889]: GRUB Error 5

Booting up system received an "Error 5" during GRUB boot, system halts. Running dual-boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10. Nothing has changed about installation or configuration since the last bootup. Can only boot from Ubuntu CD. Partition editor recognizes sda1 (the primary physical HD) where Windows lives but sdb (the secondary physical HD) where an NTFS partition and a Linux installation live is "unallocated." However the desktop recognizes the 95G partition on that hard drive that is formatted NTFS and I can read the files on it. I just can't see the Linux partition and I can't boot up either OS. Do I need to fix GRUB or did something bad happen to the partition?