[Question #77951]: formatting telephone numbers

New question #77951 on openoffice.org in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/77951

Excel has a simple formatting item for Telephone numbers, i.e., to let you choose which format you want for all telephone numbers in a column, e.g., (123)456-7890 or 123-456-7890 or 123.456.7890 or just 1234567890. Yet, to save my life I can't find anything like that in Calc. Does anything exist to format telephone numbers or for another example, Social Security Numbers a la, 567-123-3456??

Is it possible to use some user defined coding to create my own formatting for such data?