Re: [Question #76488]: Updates do not have correct checksum

Question #76488 on update-manager in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/76488

John Harris gave more information on the question:
This is an email from one of my friends who solved the problem.  You might make this available in Ubuntu distribution as a 'fix' for the problem.

Have you ever tried what the responder suggested on the AGS servers?  If so, it didn't work since I got the error this morning when I tried to update the servers.

This is what I did to 'fix' the problem (at least for now).

Login as admin, open a terminal session,  type the following on the command line

sudo apt-get clean  (note: supply admin password when prompted)
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade  (when previous command finishes; answer Yes (or Y, or y) to the prompts)(this will take a few minutes to complete)
exit (to exit terminal session)

I'm curious as to why they just don't fix the problem rather than ignore it in every 6 month release cycle.