Re: [Question #78010]: /var/log/btmp The file is not a regular file or is not a text file.

Larry Jordan proposed the following answer:
     Most of the temp files in areas outside of your home directory are
for the system; they are deleted when the system is done with them if
all goes well.  You can delete obnoxious temp files, I believe, if you
do it using 'sudo'.   However, I have a file at /var/log/btmp and am not
having problems.  Using the 'file' command (file /var/log/btmp) I find
it is data.  Can't tell you what it is from or what writes to it, but
you're more likely to break something on your system by deleting it than
fix anything.