Re: [Question #78023]: I have a HP dv3000 laptop to which ubuntu 9.04 has been installed for the first time and there is no sound. I checked the troubleshooting chapter of the Help and my sound card is 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03) - the one probably not supported y ALSA. Could you please help me with fixing the problem? Thnx

Question #78023 on alsa-driver in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+question/78023

Mark Rijckenberg proposed the following answer:
Hi,

Please try this procedure:

1. copy-paste the following command into the Terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

2. and add these lines to the end of the file:

# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

3. Then navigate to System>Preferences>Sound and change everything to
ALSA

4. reboot and retest sound

5. If sound still does not work, then replace hp-dv5 with one of the
following 4 model options:

 STAC92HD71B*
   ref
   dell-m4-1
   dell-m4-2
   dell-m4-3

6. You will have to reboot and retest sound after every model option
change to the alsa-base.conf file

See

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+question/75353

for more info.