[Question #78068]: \cite and F9 and directory path

New question #78068 on vim-latexsuite in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim-latexsuite/+question/78068

dear guys,

i upgraded to vim7 using apt-get.

if i open my previous tex files i can \cite{ and press <F9> and get a selection from the .bib files.

if i try it in my new files after pressing <F9> i exit insert mode.

i copied the files to the same directory as my previous work was in (which works with <F9>) and i was able to use the shortcut.

i am thoroughly confused.

does anybody know why it is working with some files and not others? have i missed something?

thanks in advance.