Re: [Question #52254]: firefox wont reload itself

Question #52254 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/52254

Moses Gingerich proposed the following answer:
My FF stopped launching from menu. I reloaded it and received a message:

Could not download all repository indexes using Synapitic Package Manager.
  -Failed to fetch ://Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex release i386 (20081029.5)/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/packages. Please use apt-CD ROM to make this CD Rom recognizedby APT= apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD Roms.

  --(this sentence was followed or duplicated except for the "Main" was
replaced by "restricted" ) then followed by the next sentence)...

 -Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

-Notes...because network problems..older versions be used or ignored.
Check network connections and ensure correct repository address in the
preferences is correct.

The above messages received, so I totatlly removed the FF application with Synaptic, reloaded entire app via Synaptic but oit fails to load at all with the same message apperaing. I have no known network issues as I hve a simple local are network from a Netgear router and high speed RR connection. 2 other computers have no issues so it seems not to be network related at all.
system is a Intel quad4 with 3 gb ram 300 gB hdd,  very fast and no other issues. Recent (April or May) upgrade to 9.04 Jaunty no known issues.

Hope this is not a duplicate bug. I'm new so please forgive typos etc.
Love my Ubunutu!