Re: [Question #77982]: Dual boot system - XP Pro always boots : Jaunty frequently fails to boot

Question #77982 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/77982

Steve McG is still having a problem:
Sorry actionparsnip - I wasn't trying to rattle anybody here. I've been
in the industry for thirty years myself, and my career completely spans
both Windows and Linux, so I know how it goes.

My system *does* work very well indeed when I can get it past this boot
glitch. The monitor (and the driver behind it) *does* work properly if
the boot sequence doesn't crap out. I'm *so* near to having a fabulous
system, if I could just nail down this one thing somehow.

>From reading the logs, it looks to me as if intel.ids, which appears to
be the generic vga driver for the intel integrated chipsets, has some
logic depending upon gettting a mode list returned from the monitor. It
sometimes gets it right, and it sometimes doesn't. Which means that it
has to be a timing issue, a fuzzy logic problem, or an initial
conditions problem. The fact that Windows always gets the mode list
right (as confirmed by my driver report above) suggests that the monitor
is ok. Whatever it is, it's a really little thing.

I'll try dabbling with some parameters in the xorg.conf, but it looks to
me as if the mode list issue preempts that anyway: i.e. the logic craps
out before it gets around to considering any explicitly declared
settings.

If I can't get that to work, I'll consider getting a cheapo graphics
card to circumvent the problem.