Re: [Question #77473]: manipulating booting flash drive for storage

Nandan Vaidya proposed the following answer:
well, you are right... I've had the same problem.
I partitioned my usb stick into two partitions of 1GB and had Ubuntu 9.04 alternate installer on the first partition, and data on the second.
windows could not detect the second partition :P

What you could try is use the 1st partition of the USB stick for data
and the second one as an installer.

Alternatively, I think (i am not sure about this actually !) the partition on which you have the installer, actually allows you to have other data on it as well. As long as you do not move/remove the files pertaining to the installer (unless of course you want to remove the installer) you can have other files on it and not have any problem.
You could just create a single directory the USB stick alongside the installation files called "DATA" and have the data within it, so that you can be sure which directories/files are yours and those that are not.

basically copy all the data in the second partition of the USB stick off to a safe location
You could use GParted (Partition Editor) then to delete that second partition and resize(extend) the first partiton to include the free unallocated space.

Be careful when using GParted at all times and make sure you
accidentally do not delete data that was not meant to be deleted !