[Question #78102]: wireless connection problem on ubuntu desktop 9.04

i have a wireless broadband and when i start up ubuntu..it detects the wireles and show 50% in a bracket.. i have entered the IP address detection mode as manually as it is in the windows vista i generally use..ie.. in VPN connection -- > wireless --> IP detection is set to MANUALLY --> i entered the address as in windows and gateway also but the netmask i entered the same number as under address and in DNS server also the same number..in search domains i didnt entered anything..and after pressing APPLY..in the main window of VPN connection, NEVER appears in front of the WA1300A  connection and then i am not able to browse the internet..

i dont have any idea how the terminal and its commands work. can anyone help me out in a simpler way.
ALSO I WANT TO INSTALL THE PLUGINS TO PLAY AUDIO AND VIDEO OF WINDOWS FORMAT IN UBUNTU .. HOW TO DO THAT ???