[Question #78167]: Filtering mail aggregator setup advise

Hi,
I already asked for something similar, i got answers, but further questions arose...

I am setting up a (virtual) server dedicated to mail retrieval, storage and serving.
I do not need direct SMTP delivery from the Internet (the server will be on 24/7, but all mail is cached somewhere else and accessed via POP/IMAP).

Mail is retrieved from several servers spread in the Internet using fetchmail.

I am currently using Postfix+dovecot to store it locally (plain Maildir in the users home dirs; I have no need for virtual users since I have only a handful of users) and serve it out to my Home LAN via IMAP.

This works.

I am now trying to add filtering.
My problem is I would like to do both rule-based filtering (to split mails in subfolders) and "normal" Antivirus+Antispam.

I can do the first with procmail.
I tried and it works.

Problems arose when I tried to add Antivirus+Antispam filtering.
I found several HOWTO's suggesting amavis-new usage, but, when I tried it, the system broke down and no mail was delivered anymore (actually it seems *all* my mail is considered invalid, for one reason or the other, and is simply dropped on the floor).

Before I do further tries I would some mail-guru to advise on the packages I need to use. I am quite lost in a maze of possibilities.
In particular:

- I do not need to relay mail outside (it would be nice to have a smarthost configuration, but I do not really need it); do I really need Postfix? I see Fetchmail can deliver directly to Procmail, would that be easier?

- What is the best way to add Antivirus+Antispam filtering? should I use amavis-new? Should I call spamassassin directly from procmail? what about ClamAV (or other virus-filters)?

- If I do without Postfix can I use dovecot for IMAP serving?
- what about webmail? I plan to install roundcube (or squirrelmail): can they live without a proper MTA?

Can some kind soul guide me in this?

Thanks in Advance
Mauro