[Question #78240]: CD-RW/DVD-RW not working

Hi. I am new to Ubuntu and have had no problems with a change from Vista to Ubuntu, except!
When I put a dvd/cd in the drive, I get a message saying unable to mount drive.

I have an Acer Aspire 9300WSM and everything else works fine.

I have read many of the previous answers but I get confused with some of the instructions (Its an age thing!)

Could any kind soul please help me with an "idiots guide to.....getting a dvd working)?

I know how to get a terminal up but that is about it I am afraid. On following one of the previous threads I got as far as trying to add a couple of lines to my etc/modules, but I got a message saying I didn't have permission to change the file.

Any help for a 40+yr old newbie would be most appreciated

many, many thanks