[Question #78256]: How do I set the main screen in a dual screen setup?

New question #78256 on xorg in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/78256

I've configured a dual screen setup with gnome-display-properties (System / Preferences / Display) for my notebook with an additional external display (both using the same screen resolution). The setup basically works, however the notebook's LCD is set to be the main screen (which is annoying since its picture quality is much worse than that of the external display). How can I set the external screen to be the main screen?