[Question #78284]: networking

in my university computer lab there are 100 PCs having installed windows xp. the uni assigned us a pass word and username to login. the login screen shows the username and password prompt as well as the domain prompt. in other words the login is on domain and when i log in there is a drive in mycomputer which is actually network drive. every user hav its on drive in the network. the server is usuing Linux Redhat.   What is it actually that i can login from any computer with my username and password and my own drive in mounted in mycomputer. is it domain controller or some thing other. if i wana make that type of server with ubuntu wot i need to use.   thank u so much