[Question #78294]: usb support

I am new to Linux so this may be a silly question.

In Windows (I know bad word) if you plug in a USB device the operating system recognizes the device and then it can be used.  I am looking at Ubuntu the server version 9.04 how are USB devices handled by the operating system?

I see by some posts that not all USB devices work with Linux..??