[Question #78303]: segmentation fault init:rc-default main process

I am new to ubuntu. I was using version 7 and on the last update I accepted the prompt to upgrade to version 9.04. The upgrading proceeded faultlessly until the automatic restart of the computer. The screen showed :
Segmentation fault. rm:cannot remove (/tmp/.clean):read-only file system
Segmentation fault init:rc-default main process ( 1528) terminated with status 139
on re-start of computer main process 1509 terminated with status 139
On a later restart of computer ubuntu logo appeared on the screen . The line under the logo changed colour 3/4 of the way to the end and the computer would not boot any further no matter how long it was left on.
I have no CD drive on this laptop.