Re: [Question #78324]: how to install ubuntu 9.04 desktop edition with windows xp?

Tom proposed the following answer:
Ubuntu needs about 15Gb to be comfortable.  If you've only got 6.5Gb with 1Gb for swap then it's better to use Xubuntu
http://www.xubuntu.org/get

I gather that you didn't move any data into Ubuntu last time so you're
not trying to protect any data on an ext3 partition?  So it's just your
Windows data that you want to protect and the 6.5Gb is still free to be
used?

If you have the Ubuntu Cd (or Xubuntu) then just boot it into a demo
version straight from the Cd first, just to see how it looks on your
machine.  We can also use that to have a look at what's going on with
your hard-drive right now and even set things up for the new install :)
The demo should also pick-up on your internet connection so you should
be able to use Firefox web-browser to surf straight into here.  We call
it a "LiveCd session" and it's always good to have a quick demo with it
to see how it responds to the machine and whatever's plugged in.

So put the Xubuntu (or Ubuntu) Cd in the cd/dvd-drive and reboot your machine.  It should get you to a menu with "Try Ubuntu without making changes to the machine", if not this guide should help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
Choosing the "Try Ubuntu ..." option should get you to the working desktop which we call a LiveCd session.  Note that you can see your Windows partition and any other partitions in the "Places" menu on the top taskbar.  Take care tho because anything you save to the desktop or to the "Documents" folders in the LiveCd session will vanish when you reboot so move anything you save onto your Windows partition or somewhere safe like that ;)

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)