Re: [Question #78334]: cannot install... keeps locking up ... its been 2 months and I NEED SOME HELP...don't want to go back to Windows

Tom proposed the following answer:
Well, your machine is well above min.spec. - Ubuntu needs 800MHz, 512Mb
and 15Gb of hard-drive space so it should be working fine.  Lets have a
look at a few things.

Here's a guide to help with the Memory Test and other things ActionParsnip suggested
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck?action=show&redirect=CDIntegrityCheck

Also i was wondering if you could borrow an external cd/dvd-drive to see
if that works better?  Perhaps it's a hardware problem rather than 2
Cd's being wrong?

Also can you download and make a cd in Windows?  If so then a much smaller distro called Wolvix Hunter might be worth trying as a LiveCd to see if there are other issues we are missing
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wolvix

As i'm considering this i find myself wondering if Windows is working at
all?  The flashing lights on the keyboard suggest a serious ram problem
(such as corrupted ram) which the "Memory Test" should find and fence
off.  It could also be something like a loose graphics cards or other
card or seriously over-heated cpu maybe - although this last one is very
unlikely imo.

Anyway, good luck and regards from
Tom :)