Re: [Question #78337]: How does setting the hwclock work in Ubuntu?

Question #78337 on util-linux in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+question/78337

Hanno gave more information on the question:
Or to clarify - I don't understand

- the interdependence between /lib/udev/rules.d/85-hwclock.rules and
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh

and

- when which of these scripts is called and why during shutdown.

(I do understand init.d-scripts. I don't understand udev-scripts and
what triggers them.)

and finally

- what is responsible for calling /sbin/hwclock --systohc during
shutdown?

It should be /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh, but apparently, it isn't. Why is
there no "Saving the system clock" message in my syslog although there
is HWCLOCKACCESS=yes in /etc/default/rcS?

Thanks!