[Question #78367]: Video players died with upgrade

I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 but ever since, I have been unable to play videos from file. Videos still play from online sources within Firefox, but every time I try to play a saved video file in any format, the video player opens, begins to load the file, then closes. All video players and file formats are affected.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the video players with no result.