Re: [Question #78247]: no sounds when rhythmbox plays

Question #78247 on rhythmbox in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+question/78247

Josh Kupershmidt proposed the following answer:
muchy,

I found a post by someone who managed to get sound working on the same
laptop with Ubuntu Hardy Heron here:

Here is the snippet from the first post relating to getting sound
working:

  This is a really simple fix. Go to your terminal and type:
  sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
  and at the end add "options snd-hda-intel model=hp" to the bottom of the file and save it.
  Now   type:
  sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
  Now your sound should work.

If this simple fix doesn't work for you, I'd suggest looking at the post
by user "alegir" on page 2 of that thread, who has more complicated
instructions for Ubuntu 8.04 (Intrepid), which you have -- he suggests
installing newer alsa drivers, utilities, and firmware.

Hope this helps you. Remember to test both with and without headphones.