[Question #78419]: X not loading properly

Description changed to:
After I select ubuntu from the GRUB menu, it will display the splash
screen and show that ubuntu is loading, and when the loading is done,
instead of being greeted by the login screen, I get some random colors
and the word ubuntu repeated all the way across the top of the screen. I
see the junk at the top of the screen right after the ubuntu loading
screen with the red gradient.

When it is displaying the junk at the top of the screen, the rest of the
screen is blank and the keyboard and mouse don't work. The screen will
flicker a few times, and then not respond to anything except holding the
power button down several seconds. This obviously renders ubuntu
unusable.

If I boot into recovery mode and drop to root shell prompt, I can use
the shell, but if I try to load X it will fail as explained above. So I
DO have a root bash shell I can access.

I have tried to boot into recovery mode and use xfix, but the same thing
happens. How can I fix this problem? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.