Re: [Question #78432]: this is a question

Tom proposed the following answer:
Hi :)

I tend to use Synaptic Package Manager to look up programs for me.  Go
up to the top taskbar and click on

System - Administration - Synaptic

it asks for your normal user password, not your Superuser/Root one.
Then either searsch tool is good but i prefer the "Search" button
because it searches the package descriptions as well as the titles so i
can be a lot more vague.  Note that all the programs/codecs/libraries
that are already installed are marked with a green splodge.  To install
something new just right-click and choose to install.  I recommend
installing "Wesnoth" and "Glest" (nice little games).  Sometimes a
program might need a whole bunch of other libraries and small packages
in order to run properly so you will be asked if it's ok to install
these too - not allowing them simply mean the program wont work until
you do install them.  We call these "dependencies".  Sometimes when you
look up stuff it suggests just adding a library or something to increase
the functionality of existing programs, think of fonts for example.
Anyway once you've selected everything you want righ now just click on
"Apply" to install everything in one go :)

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)