[Question #78459]: Send/Receive block dimmed...cannot send/recv mail

New question #78459 on evolution in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+question/78459

I've been using Evolution Mail for about a year.  Suddenly it won't send or receive mail.  The Send/Receive box on the toolbar is dimmed...like it does when it's busy doing something for a while.  In this case it just never goes away.  I tried reconfiguring my POP info for the email account without success.  Even with a newly configured email account the toolbar dialog never brightens back up and of course it will not send or receive mail.  I have 3 emails in the Outbox and about 300 emails waiting to be popped off the earthlink server.

I send/receive more than 100 emails per day and have 35 folders, some with a lot in them.  I fear that I may have exceeded the limits of the database engine of the Evolution mailer.  I tried doing some cleanup today but to no avail...nothing changed.

I am using Hardy 64 bit version on a HP s7700n AMD 64 athlon.