Re: [Question #76283]: setting resolution with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT card

Question #76283 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/76283

kiriath-arba confirmed that the question is solved:
A friend with more Linux experience was able to solve this one.   I was
not with him at the time and so can't provide exact details, although he
did have this to say:

"It looks like there are two programs that set the screen resolution on your computer. There's the nvidia supplied one - which is completely ignored because you don't call nvidia-settings at any point. There's also the standard one, which was
the one that was changing the display size. When you go to Settings -> Display it gives an error message, with one button leading to one program and the other button leading to the nvidia one, which you were always using."

By "Settings -> Display" perhaps my friend's actually talking about
"System -> Preferences -> Display"

[The man page for nvidia-settings specifies where this program can be
called from, e.g. ~/.xinitrc, although this was not actually used in
resolving the issue.]

He also added, "I didn't check to find exactly what those other programs
and config files are called, but the mischievous file will be somewhere
in the home directory."

Great to have it sorted out, even if I only partially understand how it
was done.