[Question #78539]: HELP: chown used mistakenly

New question #78539 on kdebase in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+question/78539

I am still a beginner with Lunux, using Kubuntu 8.04.

By mistake I applied the command  "chown -cR name:users /*"  as root within my mail subdirectory -

and I had to realize that change was applied to *all* files on the machine!!! I stopped that with Ctrl-z.

Is there a chance to undo that disaster?

For the time being, I left everything unchanged.

Thanks

Hans