Re: [Question #78094]: Jaunty gives '$ HOME/.dmrc file being ignored' after booting

Sam proposed the following answer:
Ray,
if you mention your age once again you'll have to reveal it, because I'm likely older - and - in advantage female. I started with computer when I was 40 and that's a long time ago. :-))

Finally you've got it right, you've missed the empty space '#' (symbol added as pointer)
cp /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf#/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.backup
Congratulations.

> Do I add the new line 'snd-hda-intel model =acer'
after the line 'options snd-pcsp index=-2'?

Yes, at the end of the file.
And don't worry, the worst thing what could happen to your sound is that nothing happens, means no change.