Re: [Question #78658]: I have ubuntu downloaded. Now how do I assest it? Thank you

Tom proposed the following answer:
As Arochester said.  Hopefully there's a guide to how to check the
md5sum.  I tend to find the cheapest "write once" cd's that you can only
buy in blocks of 10 or more are better than more expensive types.

then try booting up the machine with the Cd in the cd/dvd-drive.  This should get you to a menu with "Try Ubutnu without changes to this machine" as the top option, otherwise this guide should help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
Choosing the "Try Ubuntu ..." option should get you to a working desktop which we call a "LiveCd session" if it works.  Hopefully the firefox on the top taskbar should help yu navigate through to here again ;)

If it looks ok then perhaps install this way
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
to make a strong dual-boot that works well with Windows without having to rely on it.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)