[Question #78690]: Ubuntu 9.04 a week without sound

Hi all, to begin with im new to the linux world and still learning about the system. after installing the os from cd i updated and set to work on installing my audio and video codecs. suffice it to say i still can't listen to music. ive already enabled the medibuntu repository and downloaded the win32codecs aswell as the ubuntu restricted extras package. ive tried several tutorials and nothing has worked. ive also checked to see if my system had muted the sound, but as far as  my computer is concerned everything seems to be working fine. im at my wits end on this and would appreciate any help to end the silence..

in addition, video seems to be working fine.