[Question #78813]: Error Window '$ HOME/.dmrc file being ignored' after booting

I previously raised this issue as  Question #78094, asked on 2009-07-25.
Probably due to my not giving explicit replies to the excellent help offerred by Sam and others, the question "went off at a tangent" and although marked Solved the Subject error message  still occurs on each start-up.
I'd like to start again, to ignore any other issues which come up as 'by-products', and focus on getting rid of the problem which is causing the .dmrc file to be ignored.
The full text of the error window is:-
'Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default system and language from being saved. File should be owned by the user and have 644 permission. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by others.
Can anyone help please?