[Question #78843]: No desktop in Ubuntu 9.04

Hello, can anyone help with this, please?

I am on holiday and have brought a pen drive containing Ubuntu 9.04 with me. Every time I use it it boots straight into a command line and there is no desktop.

I have tried doing (without the quotes) 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' and although there were no error messages there was no desktop either.

I next tried 'sudo apt-get --reinstall xserver-xorg' but there was an error message about 'xserver-xorg'

I found both these suggestions in an Ubuntu forum

I created the pen drive version on a machine that uses nVIDIA video drivers and I may have installed an nvidia driver on the pen drive  and maybe it is this that is causing the problem (I have had problems with nVidia drivers and Ubuntu before)

How can I get the desktop back and how can I check on the video driver and, if possible, replace it with a 'generic' Ubuntu driver or what the Ubuntu installer would have installed when I first installed it on the pen drive