[Question #78888]: selecting multiple text/objects in writer

New question #78888 on openoffice.org in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/78888

I am coming to OpenOffice from MS Office - in Windows I can select multiple objects or text by holding down the ctrl key and clicking each thing I want selected.  This is different than holding down the shift key as I can select objects separately that are not in line with each other.  For instance, I am currently doing a complicated school schedule in writer where I want to select all of the cells that correspond to one class subject and make them one color - these cells are scattered through the table.  Is there some similar function in OpenOffice?  Thank you.