Re: [Question #73295]: How to install Eclipse WTP | Tomcat 6 | mySQL on Jaunty

michael proposed the following answer:
I would be very interested in any progress on this effort, and will lend
my time and my results so far in accomplishing same.

I've downloaded the Eclipse Ganymede distribution available on launchpad
as detailed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EclipseIDE

I also used Synaptic to procure sun-java6-* pacakges, tomcat 6 and
apache. I arrived at a workable version of Ganymede (I could create a
java project successfully and all the basic perspectives seem extant).

When I tried to use the 'Software Update' feature to get WTP plugins, I
received an error:

"Cannot launch the Update UI. The installation has not been configured
properly for Software Updates"

I also received a lengthy error message about improper permissions or
possible disk full status when accessing help. This problem was resolved
after finding hint about creating ~/.mozzilla/eclipse as possible
solution (this directory actually already existed but had root
ownership)

I've now removed and then re-installed Eclipse, but UI error message
still persisted.. My last stab was to manually download WTP plugins and
features and directly add to plugin and feature directories under
/usr/lib/eclipse. I now have help loading for JSF and WTP, but no WTP
perspective available in the tool, and Update Manager still on the
blink.

Happy to discuss any and all options, including right way to package WTP
apt-get if no one has attempted yet. I'm only two weeks new to Ubuntu,
still loving it, but gotta have Eclipse :)