Re: [Question #78766]: used up too much memory space

Tom proposed the following answer:
Hi, yes we had to delete 9.04 because it was too cramped but hopefully
we can set install it much better tailored this time :)

So in  a LiveCd session please delete sda2 and resize sda1 down so that
your drive has 7 GiB unallocated at the end of the drive.  Then move
sda1 to the end of the drive so that we can create some partitions for
the OS at the beginning where read/writes are very much faster.  The
resizing might not take long but the moving takes desperately long,
maybe a couple of hours! I would either leave it doing this overnight or
at least while you have other things to do away from the machine!

The performance of your machine is mostly about how fast it can access
your OS and the swap because read/writes to those can be unpredictable
whereas read/writes to data gets cached and queued up in advance.  So
moving what will be the data partition to the end of the drive wont have
a noticeable affect on real access times to the data but as we can then
get the swap at the very front of the drive there will be a significant
increase in perceived access times as the caching and queuing uses
ram&swap.  Also having the OS as the 2nd partition on the drive means
that when you click around and open or close applications/tabs/processes
the OS will be able to respond very much faster.

Good luck with this!
Regards from
Tom :)