[Question #79096]: File browser is not opening for Ubuntu 8.10

I recently updated from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 and then to 8.10. The File Browser could not open at 8.04. When I updated to 8.10, I could still not open File Browser from Places menu and Accessories under Applications. This has affected my Home and Documents folders under Places Menu. What should I do? I am currently updating to 9.04.
I was using Windows Vista Business operating system on a Sony VAIO notebook VGN-CR343N. Please also assist me in how I can reinstall all my drivers, especially for the Webcam, SD MagicGate and PRO ports.