Re: [Question #79043]: Unable to logout as missing panels unresolved - also no access to email. Wonderful!

mikb gave more information on the question:
Have now removed the ATI 3D driver installed for my card

This seems to have restored normal (default) panels - one top one bottom

However selectable screen resolution is unacceptable with a maximum of
only 800 x 600

Is there a better driver available, tested for Ubuntu?

I was under the impression that the 3D version just disabled had been
tested

Wish to run display at 1024x768 or better

Adapter and screen have no problems when booted to xp