Re: [Question #70588]: Can't connect to Internet (Jaunty with DSL)

Question #70588 on network-manager in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+question/70588

Walter posted a new comment:
Hello,

I seem to have a similar problem, but with my WLAN connection.

I just bought a "Point-of-view" 10" netbook with Intel Atom N270, 1GB DDR, 160GB SATA, integrated LAN/WLAN card and no CD or DVD Drive. It had Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex installed.
Since coming from the MS world (sorry ;-) ), I'm completely new to Ubuntu/Linux, it took me a while to get the WLAN connection going. Everything worked fine then, as I got the info that there are SW updates available. So I updated to Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Now there is no wireless connection possible anymore (I'm typing this on my MS Vista Notebook). I tried to follow the above instruction: Right-click on "Network connections" icon, click on "Wireless" Tab, and there was my wireless device already listed (Thomson wireless router). I selected the Thomson, clicked on the "Edit"-button and now don't know what to do next:
In the "Editing Auto Thomson" Window the "connect automatically" option was ticked already. However, there was no automatic connection with Jaunty Jackalope so far.
Below this option there are 3 tabs, "Wireless", "Wireless Security", and "IPv4 Settings":

- On the "Wireless" tab there are 5 data fields:
      - "SSID" containing "ThomsonFBxxx" as entry,
      - "Mode" containing "Infrastructure",
      - "BSSID" being empty,
      - "MAC Address" empty, and
      - "MTU" containing "automatic" bytes.

- On the "Wireless Security" tab there are 2 data fields:
      - "Security" containing "WPA & WPA2 Personal",
      - "Password" containing a different password than mine; if I change it to my own WPA PSK password and "Apply" it, nothing happens. Upon reopening this edit window, there is again the different password.

- On the "IPv4 Settings" tab there are 5 data fields:
      - "Method" containing "Automatic (DHCP)" as entry,
      - the rest is empty.

Below these tabs there is also the "Available to all users" option,
ticking it had no effect as well.

What can I do next to get the connection running? Please bear in mind
that I'm really new to Ubuntun and my last use of Unix is ages ago ...

Thx in advance,
Walter