[Question #79155]: frustrated with wireless and dhcp

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and am having wireless problems.
I managed to get ndiswrapper to work with my windows drivers and have configured wpa_supplicant for WPA2 but it won't work on startup.
In fact, wpa_supplicant only seems to work when started from a terminal window. It does find the router and says that the key is accepted.
I start it in terminal 1 then do a dhclient wlan0 in terminal window 2 BUT it only seems to show DHCKACK once every few tries. When it doesn't work, I have to kill wpa_supplicant, star everything up again and try again. After a few goes, it works and gets an ip address. It seems to start working if I swap windows i.e. if wpa_supplicant was running in terminal 1 and I was trying dhclient in terminal 2, kill wpa_supplicant and run it in terminal 2 then try dhclient in terminal 1. Not sure if it's just my imagination but it seems to work more often just after I swapped terminal windows.

I've tried reading loads of how-to's but they didn't solve it, despite trying.... and even posted a question on ubuntoforums but don't get any reply.

Please help - I really want to get it working but if I can't get the network to be reliable, I'll have to go back to XP.

Thanks in advance