[Question #79181]: I want a 2 state checkbox and not tristate

New question #79181 on openoffice.org in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/79181

I only want a 2 state check box.  I can not get the queries to work with the tristate.  I have tried =0 or NULL, EMPTY, =2, everything.  The results are unpredictable.  I keep seeing I can change it to a 2 state by putting "false" in for tristate, but I have no idea where that is.  I am trying to simply return records that the checkmark is unchecked. I am a newbie, but I have struggled with this for days.  Thank you for any help.