Re: [Question #79222]: Upgrading Problem

Bryan Basil proposed the following answer:
It sounds like you have a GRUB Error 15: File Not Found?  If that's the
case, the only way I know of to fix this (since you were upgrading) is
to do a clean install of Ubuntu.  I have heard that you could boot the
LiveCD and install GRUB, but you already would have GRUB installed if
you were upgrading.  Before you do a clean install, though, try this:
Boot from a LiveCD and select "Try Ubuntu without installing it."  When
that boots, navigate to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal.  In
the terminal, type "sudo grub"  then "find /boot/grub/stage1" take note
of what it outputs here, something like (hd0,0).  Then type "root
(hd?,?)" replacing the ?s with the numbers that you found in the
previous command.  Then type "setup (hd0)" Then "quit" Then "sudo reboot
now".