[Question #79273]: Difficulty accessing USB device in Ubuntu 9.04

Ubuntu 9.04 device manager reports that my Sony PRS 500 (ebook reader) is connected, but that there is insufficient power to run it; and this irrespective of whether it is connected to the mains.  I am therefore unable to interface with it at all, whereas I had no such difficulty under Ubuntu 7.