[Question #79325]: cannot watch videos

ok im pretty sure you read question like this all days, but i cannot watch videos on ubuntu Jaunty,
this is what i,ve done:
installed restricted areas, added medibuntu repository, installed w32 codecs, installed vlc, and i still cant watch videos, when i open a video file from vlc it just closes itself and it gives me no error, i've no tried opening from a terminal, then i tried installing smplayer and it does open the video file and i get the sound but no video;
i've tried other things like running portable smplayer for windows under wine and i do get the video and the sound, so i dont know why i cant see videos normally, i also tried running some games for linux and they play good, my only guess is that the graphics card isnt configures well, please any help is welcome.